Position: BROCKVILLE TOURISM AMBASSADOR - 2019
Brockville & 1000 Islands Tourism, Tourism Office, 10 Market Street West, Brockville, Ontario K6V 4R7
Reports to: Tourism Administrator
Hours of work: 30-40 hours/week
Brockville & 1000 Islands Tourism is seeking to fill summer season positions to deliver visitor services from within the Brockville tourism office. The Tourism Ambassadors for Brockville operate as the first point of contact between out of town visitors and the City of Brockville, making excellent customer service skills highest priority. All visitors and passers-by to Brockville should receive the best welcome to the City that is possible, have all of their questions answered, and be able find out about more activities in the area that they were not yet aware of. Additionally the visitor should leave feeling that they had the best experience possible, would return again, and would recommend visiting Brockville to others.
To accomplish this, our Tourism Ambassadors must have a broad knowledge of the City and the surrounding region, excellent communication and interpretation skills, be able to problem solve, and be a great team player.
All applicants must be currently enrolled as a full-time secondary or postsecondary student and be returning to full-time studies in the fall. French language proficiency is required.
Exceptional customer service (in person, telephone and email) and coordinating
skills. Team player who is able to work unsupervised. French language proficiency.
- Greet visitors and respond to all inquiries in person, via telephone and by email in a friendly, knowledgeable and resourceful manner.
- Listen and interpret visitor needs based on verbal information and observation. The ambassadors are encouraged to use various tools to assist with their communication – tablets, diagrams, maps, internet, email, GPS, etc.
- Develop an excellent knowledge base of Brockville and 1000 Islands tourism related products.
- Provide clear, concise directions and give information on Brockville and the entire Eastern Ontario area.
- Assist with accommodation reservations for visitors and communicate activities that will ultimately increase the length of a visitor’s stay.
- Assist visitors in building a vacation itinerary that focuses on the Brockville and District first.
- Proficiency with cash handling and using a Point of Sale Retail System for the sale of souvenir merchandise and event tickets.
- Ensure Blockhouse Island Visitor Centre and Tourism Office is a clean and welcoming environment for a visitor that projects a professional and favourable image of Brockville.
- Additional languages considered an asset.
- Track and maintain adequate supply of tourism literature in the Tourism Office and Blockhouse Island Visitor Centre as well as the racks at City Hall.
- Assist with Downtown brochure distribution as requested.
RETAIL / TICKETS
- Restock and price merchandise as required at the Tourism Office and seasonal Visitor Centre.
- Photograph new inventory and write descriptions.
- Handle financial transactions and deposits for tourism merchandise. Balance cash with items sold on a per shift basis.
- Sell and track ticket sales for Island Breakfast and Brockville Ghost Walks and balance ticket sales.
- Track daily the number of visitors through the Tourism Office and Blockhouse Island Visitor Centre as well as phone calls to the office
- Review and update information binders on a daily basis.
- Prepare visitor mail out packages and local welcome packages
- Print weather / marine forecasts for visitor display.
- Assist with the development of promotional materials.
- Conduct visitor surveys as required.
- Assist with the development and implementation of the Brockville Ghost Walks.
- Develop content for social media accounts and blog posts as required.
- Deliver welcome bags to boaters visiting the Brockville Harbour.
- Maintain a clean and welcoming environment including weeding flower bed, watering flowers, dusting and cleaning surfaces when needed.
- Interact and co-operate with all other staff members as a team player.
- Complete research on local businesses, organizations and festivals and events that would create unique and exciting feature articles for travel trade media, local media and other forms of promotion.
- Support the development of promotional tools that can be utilized to highlight the local district.
- These may include, but not limited to, photographs, promotional CD/DVD, media releases, familiarization tours, etc.
- Communicate with local businesses on opportunities for free promotion of their business, organization, and festival and event through various website and marketing opportunities.
- Attend staff meetings
- Arrive 10 minutes prior to your shift and ready to work.
Please send a resume and cover letter highlighting your qualifications for this position to
email@example.com care of Alexandra Howard
- Date Posted:Apr 01, 2019
- Number of Positions Available:2
- Employment Type:Student
- Employment Duration:Seasonal
- Job Location:Brockville & 1000 Islands Tourism, Tourism Office, 10 Market Street West, Brockville, Ontario K6V 4R7
- Salary:$14.00 Per Hour
- Deadline:Apr 19, 2019